Website in association with Angel IT Solutions




All the reports for February are shown below. See News Index for other months

28 Feb - CBC PREMIER - Melia's two penalty saves puts Pheasant in poll position, while a Dawson double slows The Vine's climb  - Forty four year old Shannon Melia was the hero with two penalty saves as Wadsley Bridge Pheasant took a massive step towards their first CBC Premier title with a Craig Mawhood goal (pictured left) giving them a narrow 1-0 victory over nearest rivals Stannington Village. The goal came after just fifteen minutes when Andy Dawson's cross was met with a terrific Mawhood volley past the Stannington keeper. Stannington responded and when Adam Todd was put through he skimmed the outside of a post with his shot and soon after a cross from Shaun Flynn found Lee Johnstone on the six yard line, but his header was superbly blocked by Melia. Melia's first penalty save came just before half time after Todd had been brought down in the area. Todd picked himself up to take the kick, but Melia produced a smart save to his right to keep Pheasant in front (right). The second penalty came with just fifteen minutes remaining when Alex Torr was brought down. Like Todd, he picked himself up and took the responsibility, but also like Todd's penalty, Melia flung himself to his right to make a terrific save (first picture below). Pheasant then had a player dismissed, but despite fierce Stannington pressure they held on and the title is now their's to lose. All the action pictures from the game are by Mick Moat.

The Vine also lost ground on the leaders as two Andy Dawson (right) goals allowed Norton Oaks A to grab a 2-2 draw and make it six games unbeaten. Oaks had to go into the game without their three top scorers, but the game also started badly for The Vine with three of their back four having to be replaced after sustaining injuries in the first ten minutes. The Vine almost took a first half lead though when the Oaks keeper made a great save to stop Mike Golland's shot finding the top corner. After the break The Vine began to get on top and took a deserved lead when they were awarded a penalty and Matt Ellis scored from the spot. Lou Jackson then missed two great chances to extend their lead and Oaks made them pay when Dawson headed home from an Alan Mowforth corner. The Vine went back in front when Andrew Jenkinson and Ellis linked up to give Liam Allott the chance, but a second Mowforth corner was again headed home by Dawson to give oaks a share of the spoils.

Handsworth Turf are up to third after their 2-1 victory at Oughtibridge WM. The home side had the first chance when Billy Needham fired over, but it was Turf that went ahead when a corner by new signing Brad Bosswell was headed goalbound and Danny Wilson stooped down to head the ball home from five yards. They doubled their lead before half time when a Wilson shot was blocked and Ben Shackshaft (left) headed the loose ball over the keeper. The second half saw Bosswell have two long range shots well saved by the Oughtibridge keeper before Aidy Tomlin's shot was parried by Liam Richardson in the Turf goal and this time Needham made no mistake to pull one back. Oughtibridge had plenty of pressure after that with Tom Fletcher firing over and Callum Chambers going close, but with Tom Smith outstanding for Turf, the home side couldn't to get an equaliser.

Woodhouse Angel climbed two places with a comfortable 5-0 victory over Southey Social. Angel took a deserved lead when a Sam Comer corner was turned home at the near post by Josh Barringham. The second came when Mitch Husbands provided a perfectly weighted pass for Comer to hit a terrific left foot finish into the bottom corner and it was three by half time when Brad Williams headed home from close range (right). After several chances were created and missed, Angel finally added a fourth with a Husbands free kick bent round the wall into the bottom corner and Angel completed the scoring when skipper Gareth Simons produced a good finish from the edge of the area. Husbands almost added another when his shot hit the post and rolled agonisingly along the goal line.

A single Gary Eades strike proved enough for Civil Service condemned Redmires to a fifth consecutive defeat and boosted Civil's survival hopes. The goal came midway through the first half when Wes Bamford drove into the heart of the Redmires defence before giving his brother Thomas, on his debut, the chance to get in a shot that was touched home by Eades. Andrzej Gordon-Hides twice went close to adding a second for Civil, whilst Redmires replied with a Jon Wall effort that hit the bar. It was a vital win for Civil with Thomas Bamford impressing with a tireless display alongside man of the match Josh Corker in midfield. Civil keeper Josh Branch was also in good form, keeping his second consecutive clean sheet.

DIVISION 1 - Phoenix almost there, while Taxis get a Major victory - Phoenix could be just one victory away from clinching a first ever promotion to the top flight after their 3-0 victory at fellow promotion hopefuls Ecclesfield Players Lounge. The first half belonged to Ecclesfield, with Dan Barnet shooting wide and Mark Groves hitting the bar, before a string of amazing saves by Phoenix keeper Kieran Osbourne kept the game goal less at the break. The second half belonged to Phoenix. Dale Savage broke the deadlock when he tapped home his tenth of the season from an Evan Watson corner. Gav Hunter almost levelled for Ecclesfield when his shot was cleared off the line, before Kieran Goff, Bradley Clarke and Savage combined to set up super-sub Jack Hawkes to hit an unstoppable thirty five yard shot to double Phoenix's lead. The win was clinched when Liam Brookfield exchanged passes with Nicky Shaw before going past four defenders to coolly beat the keeper.

Phoenix's chances of taking the Division One title were also boosted when a Danny Major goal gave City Taxis a 1-0 victory over second place Hallam. Intake Old Boys' hopes also took hit when second bottom Aston Swallownest gained a shock 2-1 victory over them. After a goalless first half a delicate Adam Smith cross was headed home by David Sills (left) to put Aston in front and they doubled it when Luke Norfolk's run and cross from the left was tapped home by Shane Mackay. Intake responded and Thomas Hall chipped the keeper to pull one back five minutes from time, but it proved to be too little, too late for Intake.

Hare & Hounds promotion hopes were also hit by a 4-2 defeat at a Ranch side now just a couple of points from safety. Hare and Hounds got off to the worst possible start when five minutes into the game, veteran keeper Mas Rankine mishandled a Jakob Burgin corner over the line to gift Ranch the lead. Hare and Hounds hit back, again from a corner, a defender Richard Brailey was on hand to head in off the bar at the back post.  Ranch regained the lead five minutes later when Hounds defender Fraser Ward made a hash of a clearance leaving an easy finish for Conner Brunt.  Life became an uphill struggle for Hounds when Brunt, bearing down on goal, was brought down by the luckless Ward on the edge of the box, leaving referee Adam Baguley little choice but to show him a red card.  Defender Brailey then limped off with a hamstring leaving the ten man Hounds with a makeshift defence, but they still fashioned enough chances in the second half to have stolen the game as Jake Schofield, Shann Marsland and George Rudd all missed relatively easy chances.  Schofield did manage to level the scores with a curling free kick which deceived the keeper at his back post, but the ten men were not to hang on. Tom Hartley (right) stepped inside to hit a ferocious rising shot past the keeper, before Ash Betts clever run and finish finally finished off Houndís challenge.

With a man of the match performance from full back Tom Storey, Loxley kept their promotion challenge going as Ralph Clarkson scored twice in a 5-1 victory over a Colley Tavern now just one game away from having their relegation confirmed. Piers Bond set up Clarkson to give Loxley the lead and he hit his second from close range to double Loxley's lead. Mick Smith made it three before half time with a flighted free kick and the second half saw Josh Jones score their fourth from close range , before he set up Karl Taylor for their fifth. Chris Fowler grabbed a late consolation for Colley, but their fate looks as good as sealed.

DIVISION 2 - Penistone go four points clear, but Cobden, Devonshire and George all also win - Penistone Church went four points clear at the top of Division Two as Tim Council hit four and George Orrell three in a 9-2 win over Civil Service B. Mitch Savage and Tom Eaton netted Penistone's others while Tom Burns and Joe Taylor netted Civil's consolations.

Cobden View are up to second after coming from behind to beat Crookes & District. H'too got a shoulder to a corner for his third goal in as many games to put Crookes in front at the break. The bottom side, with John Bradley outstanding had given as good as they got in the first half, but Cobden came out a different side in the second half and levelled with a Ben Bell free kick. Bell then got his second from the penalty spot and centre half Adam Beresford made the points safe with Cobden's third.

Lewis Whittaker (left) hit a hat-trick as Devonshire went third with a comfortable 6-0 win at Steelers. Devonshire led 2-0 at the break thanks to Whittaker's first two and after Russ Westby and two from Sam Read had extended Devonshire's lead to five, Whittaker completed his hat-trick and the scoring. AFC George stayed in contention as Shaun Waller scored twice in a 4-1 victory over Top Club. James Archer and Lee Cotton netted George's others while Liam Bryan netted Top Club's consolation.

Hamza El Yougo also scored twice as Norton Oaks B made it four wins and draw from their last seven with a 4-2 victory over Woodhouse Juniors. That result looked unlikely when Nick Mulgrew and Perry Lydget goals gave Woodhouse a two goal lead, but the game began to change when Chris Pigott pulled one back for Oaks before the break. The second half belonged to Oaks with a Jordan Holland corner finished off by Jeremiah Donnelly to level the scores, before El Yougo came off the bench to score twice and win it for Oaks.

21 Feb - CBC PREMIER - Ten man Angel clip Pheasant's wings, but Stannington held by Civil - Despite playing with just ten men for an hour, Woodhouse Angel threw the CBC Premier title race wide open by bringing leaders Wadsley Bridge Pheasant's unbeaten record to an end with a last minute winner from skipper Gareth Simons (left). Angel showed their intent by taking the lead when Mark Coggin won the ball and exchanged passes with Kirk Briddon before playing a great through ball to Jordan Rymell who scored by lobbing the ball over the advancing keeper. The game looked to then swing firmly Pheasant's way when referee Matt Tyers deemed that Angel defender Chris Towey had brought down Danny Barnsley in the area and that he was the last man so was given a red card. Dylan Parrott stepped up to score the penalty to send the teams in level at the break. With the wind at their backs in the second half, Pheasant looked set to go on and win the game, but they found that Angel's ten men provided a resolute defence. Although Pheasant wasn't able to make a clear cut chance it looked that they would at least keep their unbeaten record, but Angel had other ideas. In the final minutes Angel sub Brad Williams won a free kick on the touch line and Sam Comer whipped in a great cross that the Pheasant keeper spilled out to Mike Towey and although the keeper saved Towey's point blank shot the ball fell to Simons who gleefully smashed the ball home to give his side a deserved victory.

Second place Stannington Village failed to take full advantage as they were held to a goalless draw at Civil Service A. On a heavy pitch Stannington were having the lion's share of possession, but the best chance fell to Civil and keeper Nathan Ryan had to make a terrific save from Tom Turner to stop him giving Civil the lead. The second half saw Stannington take control, but the Civil defence well marshaled by Carl Ledger and skipper Ben Brown (right) held firm. When Civil keeper Josh Branch was called into action he was more than up to the task, saving from Robin Elliott and Alex Torr. When he was beaten by Callum Pinhorn the ball hit a post and stayed out and Civil held on to a deserved point.

There are still eight clubs in the title race after Redmires were beaten 3-2 at in-form The Vine and both Handsworth Turf and Norton Oaks A took a point from a 3-3 draw with each other. Redmires started the day a place above The Vine, but it was the home team that took the lead when Mike Golland and Brent Heeley (left) combined to set up Matt Ellis to fire home. The Vine quickly doubled their lead when veteran Steven Wilkinson played an inch-perfect pass for man of the match Liam Allott to run through and beat the keeper. Redmires got back into the game before half time when Ben Palmer and Chris Cottyn combined to set up Jon Wall and after the break Joe France was adjudged to have brought Wall down in the area and Wall scored his second from the spot to bring Redmires level. The Vine weren't done though and when sub Richard Mills found The Vine's leading scorer Rikki Davidson he advanced to fire home the winner.

Norton Oaks A's 3-3 draw with Handsworth Turf was a real thriller. Oaks took the lead when they were awarded a penalty and although Turf's stand-in keeper, assistant manager Lee Machin, saved Danny Reet's spot kick, Coel Fulton was on hand to ram home the rebound. Turf responded, but the Oaks keeper made quality saves from both Danny Wilson and Ben Shackshaft to make sure Oaks led at the break. Turf continued on top in the second half and deservedly equalised when Tom Crosby put Kieran Gallagher through to score into the bottom corner. Turf then went in front when Tom Smith's cross field ball found Crosby and he hammered the ball into the bottom corner from the edge of the area. Oaks were then handed an equaliser when the keeper's clearance fell straight to Reet and with the keeper out of position he hit it back from the halfway line into an empty net. Turf went back in front when Ollie Grady's cross was chested down by Shackshaft before he fired into the top corner. Gallagher should have scored a fourth for Turf when he fell over with the goal at his mercy and Lloyd Gelsthorpe then forced the Oaks keeper into two great saves. Turf was then reduced to ten men when Craig Cansdale was adjudged to have denied a goalscoring opportunity and from the resulting free kick, Reet's shot was cleared off the line by Gelsthorpe. Oaks eventually made their man advantage count to grab a share of the points when Dale Kay (right) ran onto Andy Dawson's through ball to smash home at the near post.

DIVISION 1 - Phoenix flying again, while Hallam and Taxis get their challenge back on track - Division One leaders Phoenix extended their lead at the top to thirteen points with a 5-0 win over fellow promotion hopefuls Intake Old Boys. Kieran Goff's volley gave Phoenix an early lead and that's how it stayed until the second half. Phoenix doubled it when Josh Aston ghosted past four defenders before leaving the keeper helpless and soon after, Jordan Pearce showed his class to set up Dale Savage for Phoenix's third. Jack Hawkes made it four before he combined with Goff to allow Nicky Shaw (left) to net his nineteenth goal of the season to complete the scoring.

Joe Howsham (right) struck twice as Hallam got their challenge back on track with a 3-1 victory over another promotion contender Hare & Hounds. The best chance of the first half fell to Hounds George Rudd, but his first shot came back to him off the bar and his second attempt also hit the bar, but flew over. Hallam were gifted the lead after the break when a wayward back pass was pounced on by Howsham to score. Miles Howarth then doubled their lead before Rudd reduced the arrears, but their cause wasn't helped when Ward was dismissed for a poor tackle. Hallam keeper Josh Womack still had to make a couple of good saves to keep his side in front and his work was rewarded when Howsham scored his second to seal the win.

City Taxis recovered from last weekend's 6-1 defeat by Chapeltown RBL by handing out a 6-0 defeat on Ranch. Ben Birtles headed Taxis in front from a long throw and another long throw allowed Scott Westney to head their second before half time. After the break Jordan Marshall scored twice before Aaron Liles hit a screamer from twenty five yards to make it five, but even that goal was eclipsed by Richard Ellin's thirty five yard strike to complete the rout.

Chapeltown RBL kept their momentum going to join the promotion race with a 5-2 victory at Colley Tavern. Colley started the better and took a deserved lead with a Chris Fowler header at the back post. Chapeltown responded immediately and Joe Moorhouse left four defenders in his wake before equalising. Sam Walch then hit a thirty five yard left foot strike to put Chapeltown in front and they extended it before half time when Danny Cardwell's free kick was met by Neil Boote for his second in as many games. Tom Wright was introduced after the break and his impact was immediate when he rounded off a flowing move with a cool finish. Ragen Dempsey pulled one back for Colley, but any thoughts of a revival were quickly dispelled by a Will Jones' bullet header from another Cardwell delivery.

Eight teams are still in the hunt after Loxley's challenge was revived with a 6-1 victory over Aston Swallownest. Despite playing into the strong wind it was Loxley that took the lead with a Tim Pitt penalty after Josh Jones had been brought down in the area. Aston responded to level with a Billy Evans strike, but they fell behind again before half time when Ralph Clarkson scored. The second half saw Loxley make full use of the strong wind, with Steve Mayfield (right) adding a third before Piers Bond added a fourth from distance. Clarkson netted his second before Jones capped his man of the match performance with Loxley's sixth.

DIVISION 2 - Penistone give Devonshire an Orrell-ble time, while a Higgins treble lifts Cobden and Blythen bags another three for George - Division Two leaders Penistone Church are still to drop a point and are now the only unbeaten side in the league after a George Orrell hat-trick helped them end Devonshire's perfect record to go three points clear. Penistone were gifted the lead when the Devonshire keeper miskicked and Orrell ran the ball into the empty net, but just two minutes later Devonshire were level with a Keith Cronin goal. Callum Lee restored Penistone's lead with a free kick into the top corner and Tom Adams extended it when he got the final touch to a Mitch Savage pile driver. Orrell netted his second from a poor clearance by the keeper to make it 4-1 at the break and it stayed like that until the last five minutes when Orrell completed his hat-trick with a header at the back post from Luke Marsland-Gray's cross. Sam Read scored a second for Devonshire in the last minute, but it was much too little too late to stop them crashing to a 5-2 defeat. Action from the game is below - pictures by Mick Moat.

A Richard Higgins treble helped Cobden View to a fifth consecutive victory, 3-1 over Civil Service A to go back up to third. Civil struck first through Joe Taylor and missed several good chances to increase their lead, but just before the interval Higgins grabbed his first to level the scores. A couple of injuries meant that Civil had to change their shape at half time and they never really got to grips with their hosts after that and Higgins added two more, one from the penalty spot, to give Cobden victory.

Although AFC George remain in fifth place after a 5-1 victory Woodseats Chantrey, they are still very much in the title race as they have games in hand on all the clubs above them. This victory came with the help of yet another Michael Blythen (right) treble, taking his tally to 26 for the season, but it was Chantrey driven on by Brendon Wilson that led at half time through Ricky Williamson. The second half belonged to George though and Daniel James and Shaun Waller added to Blythen's treble saw them comfortable winners. Steelers gained only their second win in eight games with a 3-0 victory at Top Club. It took just two minutes for Fraser Oxley to bundle home Steelers first and Gage West doubled their lead six minutes before the break. Although Steelers continued to dominate it took until the last couple of minutes for Kaiden Simpson (left) to add their third.

20 Feb - SUNDAY CUPS - The Vine to travel to Westville, while Devonshire travel to Bagshawe Arms - The Sunday Senior and Sunday Junior cup semi final draws saw The Vine travel to Westville of Mexborough Premier in the Senior Cup, while Devonshire travel to the unbeaten Meadowhall Division One side Bagshawe Arms in the Junior Cup. Both games are scheduled for Sunday 20 March.

20 Feb - KITLOCKER CUP - Kitlocker Cup semi finals set for 13 March - The League Kitlocker Cup semi finals are set to be played at the HSBC Sports Ground on Sunday 13 March. The ties are The Vine v Penistone Church and Wadsley Bridge Pheasant v Stannington Village - both kick off at 11 am.

20 Feb - March Fixtures now listed - The Fixtures and Referees for MARCH are now shown - Home teams MUST make sure that their home pitch is available on all the dates shown. Please email Keith immediately if your pitch is not available on a date shown. BUT note that if we have any further postponements, some fixtures might get changed to try to give teams shown as playing TBA a game. All home clubs must also confirm the details with your opponents and referees for all dates shown IMMEDIATELY. Please email Keith immediately if any of the referees tell you they cannot do the fixture listed.

14 Feb - KITLOCKER CUP - Church Council stops Redmires plans - Tim Council (right) hit a hat-trick as Division Two Penistone Church strode through to the League Kitlocker Cup semi finals by putting out former holders CBC Premier Redmires 3-2. After just eight minutes a Redmires defender stumbled and Council took full advantage to run through and hit a left foot shot into the top corner. On the half hour mark Danny Howes ran down the left wing and crossed for Council to chip the ball over the keeper to double Penistone's lead. Redmires got back into it when a Jon Wall corner was headed into his own net by John Whitehead, but just before the break Penistone restored their two goal lead when George Orrell whipped in a cross from the right which was met by the right foot of Council to complete his hat-trick. The second half saw Redmires pull one back when another Wall corner was headed in by Ben Palmer, but they couldn't break the Penistone defence again and the hosts went through. Penistone will now face The Vine in the semi finals in March.

CBC PREMIER - Davidson double keeps The Vine in touch, while Angel hit back to see off Turf and Oaks nine hold on - Wadsley Bridge Pheasant stayed top of the CBC Premier with a 5-1 victory at Southey Social. Pheasant went ahead when a Craig Mawhood cross was toe poked home by Adam Askwith and just before half time Craig Andrews doubled their lead. After the break Kane Doughty made it three, before good work by Luke Beedham set up Danny Barnsley for number four. After the Southey keeper saved a Dylan Parrott penalty, Parrott (left) gained his revenge with a strike from the edge of the area, before Rob Womack scored a late consolation for Southey.

The Vine stayed in touch with the leaders as a Ricky Davidson (right) double helped them to a 2-0 victory at Brinsworth Whitehill. The Vine had the first chance of the game when Liam Allott crossed for Lou Jackson, but he fired over from close range. Allott then had an effort ruled out for offside and the half ended goalless. After the break The Vine, with man of the match Mike Golland a constant threat down the wing, got on top and they took the lead with a spectacular thirty yard shot by Davidson. After that Brinsworth began to press hard for an equaliser, but The Vine defence held firm and in the final minute they clinched the game with a quick break that saw sub Richard Mills put Davidson through his second.

Mitch Husbands also scored twice as Woodhouse Angel came from three down to beat Handsworth Turf. Turf tore into their hosts at the start and were ahead in the first minute when Ollie Grady's free kick eluded everyone to find the net. Danny Wilson quickly doubled Turf's lead when his shot went under the keeper and with little more than ten minutes on the clock a Grady corner was headed home by Carl Bowler. Angel didn't panic though and soon pulled one back with a Mark Coggin volley. Brad Williams then headed wide when he should have scored, but a second for Angel came when Husbands and Mike Towey combined to set Kirk Briddon up for a back post header (see far left). Turf almost extended their lead when Robert Pratt curled just over the bar and after the break both Grady and Wilson had chances, but on the hour Angel levelled when Husbands finished off a mazy run by beating keeper Liam Richardson (see second left). Angel put the Turf defence under severe pressure and they took the lead when Husbands lashed home a volley and they clinched the victory when Husbands and Towey set up Jordan Rymell to score the goal of the game from the edge of the area (see the last picture below). All pictures by Mick Moat.

DIVISION 1 - Butler treble stops Taxis charge, while Colley shaken by Bond. Intake see off Hallam, while Ecclesfield go second with victory at Ranch  - City Taxis Division One promotion charge was brought to a spectacular halt as Gav Butler hit a treble to help Chapeltown RBL to a 6-1 win. Liam Gibson celebrated his return to the Chapeltown line-up by scoring the opener with a near post header from a corner and the lead was doubled when Joe Moorhouse flicked in at the near post. Butler got his first when he prodded the ball past the keeper from close range and after the break he took his second when he latched onto a flick-on by Gibson. Neil Boote headed a fifth for Chapeltown before Phil Yeardley grabbed a consolation for Taxis, but Chapeltown weren't finished and Butler completed his hat-trick at the second attempt after his initial shot had been blocked by the keeper.

Piers Bond also hit three as Loxley revived their promotion bid with a 4-1 victory at Colley Tavern. Bond muscled his way past two defenders to open the scoring early in the game, but Colley levelled with a Josh Connor strike. Bond then had a goal disallowed for a push, before going close with a close range header, but Loxley regained their lead before half time when Anthony Marshall got just enough on a close range volley to beat the keeper. After the break Bond found the bottom corner to double Loxley's lead and he completed his hat-trick after forcing his way past several challenges to finish from close range. Loxley should have had more with the most notable miss coming when Dominic Ambler (right) blazed over when it was easier to score.

Hallam's promotion bid was knocked off course as fellow challengers Intake Old Boys beat them 2-1. Intake took the lead when Paul Turner was brought down in the box and Shaun Garwell stepped up to score from the spot, but Hallam got back on level terms before half time when Lewis Mitchell headed home. After the break Intake got their noses back in front when Tom Hall and Tom Gabbitas (left) combined for Gabbitas to bend the ball past the Hallam keeper. Intake were later reduced to ten men, but Hallam couldn't make their numerical advantage pay and Intake held on and they are now just a single point behind Hallam.

Hallam's defeat allowed Ecclesfield Players Lounge to go second with a narrow 3-2 win at Ranch. Man of the match Mark Groves headed Ecclesfield in front, but Ranch hit back to level with a Tom Hartley goal after a long throw caused panic in the Ecclesfield defence. Another long throw had the same result and Tom Evans pounced to put Ranch in front, but with Mitch Robinson driving them forward, Ecclesfield levelled just before the break with a Joe Knight (right) strike. Soon after the break Ecclesfield regained the lead with a Scott Whittington strike and Whittington should have quickly added two more from two one-on-ones with the keeper, but both times the Ranch keeper came out on top. After that they had to weather a late storm as Ranch went in search of an equaliser, but keeper James Abramski was in no mood to be beaten and made sure his side went home with all the points with a string of good saves.

DIVISION 2 - Killamarsh go level with the leaders, while Norton give Devonshire a scare - Killamarsh Juniors went level with the Division Two leaders Penistone Church with a 3-1 victory at Steelers. Chris Savage gave Killamarsh the lead before leading scorer Joe Glover headed their second. Ryan Hancock added a third by lobbing the keeper and although Steelers pulled one back when Blake Owen netted his fifteenth of the season from the penalty spot it was too little too late.

Devonshire maintained their all-win record at Norton Oaks B, but only just. Nicky Owen and Sam Read (left) goals either side of half time looked to have put Devonshire in command, but an El Yougo strike five minutes from time pulled one back for Norton to give their visitors a nervous last five minutes. Art the other end of the table, after a Brendon Wilson strike had put Woodseats Chantrey in front, a Kaw H'Too goal gave their visitors Crookes & District a share of the points.

7 Feb - CBC PREMIER - Handy Andy helps Pheasant take charge of the title race, while Crosby's heroics wins it for Turf - A goal and a man of the match performance by skipper Andy Dawson (right) saw Wadsley Bridge Pheasant (left) beat their closest rivals Stannington Village 3-1 to go three points clear at the top of the CBC Premier and take charge of the title race.

The windy conditions made it hard for both teams to play good football, but it was Pheasant that mastered it first and they took an early lead when Carl Andrews' angled drive took a slight deflection into the top corner of the net. Wiith Alex Torr looking lively up front Stannington began to come into the game and the best chance fell to Aaron Worsfold who hit the post when only ten yards out with the goal gaping. Torr then had a shot which skimmed the outside of a post and Jack Ridge had a shot which went just wide, but ten minutes before the break Stannington shot themselves in the foot when a reckless challenge by Dean Jepson earned him his second yellow card, leaving his Stannington to face the rest of the game with ten men.

Stannington had a great chance to level just after the break when their skipper Lee Johnstone missed a free header from six yards and from the resulting goal kick Pheasant broke quickly and their skipper Andy Dawson beat the offside trap to end his solo run with a fine finish past Stannington keeper Nathan Ryan to double his side's lead. Stannington then began to press, but both Torr and Shaun Flynn couldn't take advantage of a cross by Johnstone and shortly after Shaun Flynn headed just wide from a Danny Smith cross. At the other end Pheasant's Danny Barnsley showed them how to finish to put the result beyond doubt, although Stannington did manage a late consolation when Torr cushioned keeper Ryan's long clearance before giving Pheasant keeper Shannon Melia from 25 yards. On the day it was Pheasant's better finishing that proved to be the difference, so Stannington will need to sharpen up for when the two sides meet again at the end of the month.

The teams: Wadsley Bridge Pheasant: Shannon Melia,Scot Bingley, Josh Statham, John Wragg, Kane Doughty, Daz Antcliffe, Shane Andrews, Andy Dawson, Carl Andrews, Craig Mawhood, Reece James Subs: Adam Askwith, Simon Bingley, Joel Evans, Danny Booth, Danny Barnsley

Stannington Village: Nathan Ryan, Aaron Worsfold, Callum Pinhall, Mark Peacock, Dan Green, Jack Ridge, Dean Jepson, Lee Johnstone, Alex Torr, Adam Todd, Shaun Flynn Subs: Ben Cook, Robin Elliott, Danny Smith, John Grayson, James Middleton.

FC Handsworth Turf went into their home game with Oughtibridge WM missing regular keeper Liam Richardson, so full back Tom Crosby stepped in and as well as keeping a clean sheet he produced a man of the match performance to earn his side three points. Crosby was twice called into action early in the game, pulling off two great saves from long range shots by Ross Brown and Ollie Black. His work gained further reward when when Danny Wilson's through ball found Tom Smith on the left and he cut inside the full back before finding the corner of the net with a right foot shot for what proved to be the only goal of the game. Turf should have extended their lead after the break, as Conal Gallagher hit the crossbar with a shot and before the same player somehow headed Wilson's cross wide from just five yards with the goal at his mercy. The Oughtibridge keeper then made a great double save to stop Wilson and Mario Esposito from adding to Turf's lead, but it wasn't all Turf and Crosby pulled off two more great saves off to keep out a Harry Hartley header and a Black volley, but he also had a piece of luck when Aaron Lamb somehow hit the crossbar from just a couple of yards out. Craig Cansdale also headed off the line as the Turf goal came under pressure but Crosby and his defence held on to secure the win.

Action from the game is below - pictures by Ian Revitt:

DIVISION 1 - Hallam Miles better as they make up ground on the leaders, while doubles for Whittington and Schofield lift Ecclesfield and Hounds - With Division One leaders Phoenix without a game, Hallam took full advantage to cut the gap at the top with a 4-1 victory over Loxley. Hallam enjoyed bulk of first half but couldn't force a breakthrough and instead, in a rare attack, it was Loxley that scored first with a Ralph Clarkson strike. Just before half time though Alex Fearn scored his first ever goal to level for Hallam. The second half saw Loxley come more into the game, but the game swung Hallam's way when they were awarded a penalty, confidently put away by Joe Howsham. That put Hallam in charge and Miles Howarth quickly added two more to give Hallam a winning margin that even they thought slightly flattered them.

Action from the game is below - pictures by Mick Moat:

Ecclesfield Players Lounge kept pace with Hallam with a narrow 4-3 victory over Chapeltown RBL. Ecclesfield took the lead playing into the strong wind with Whittington's first, but Danny Cardwell levelled the scores with a retaken penalty. Whittington restored Ecclesfield's lead when he finished off a Ryan Keeney pass to give his side a half time lead and they extended it after the break with an Andy Baxter penalty after Danny Barnett had been dragged down in the area. Sub Lewis Turton then scored the best goal of the game when he found the top corner from all of thirty five yards. Whittington and Knight both missed good chances to put the game out of reach of their visitors and they nearly paid for it when Cardwell left them sweating. He first left the Ecclesfield keeper helpless with a long range stunner before scoring his second penalty after sub Keenan Gibson was brought down in the area, but even his hat-trick proved to be too little too late and Ecclesfield held on.

Jake Schofield (right) scored twice as Hare & Hounds remarkable rise continued and they are now fourth after their 6-2 home win over bottom club Colley Tavern. Schofield put Hounds ahead with a penalty after a handball in the area and their lead was doubled lead when Sean Maloney coolly slotted home from eight yards after an excellent through ball from Liam Hogg. Colley got back into the game before half time when Danny Ashall's long range shot took a deflection past the Hounds keeper and after the break Colley levelled when a poor clearance from Ross Eckhart left Josh Connor with an open goal he couldn't miss. Eckhart made up for his error with a tricky run in the Colley box which resulted in another penalty that Schofield comfortably dispatched to restore Hounds' lead before Liam Hogg added a fourth with a back post finish after good work down the left. More good work down the left resulted in a tap in for Hogg and the result was sealed with a Rob Troughton penalty after Shann Marsland was fouled in the box - his feet proving too fast for tired Colley legs.

DIVISION 2 - Council treble sees off Crookes - Tim Council scored a hat-trick as Penistone Church restored their three point lead at the top of Division Two with a 6-1 victory at bottom club Crookes & District. Mitch Savage, Lewis Dickinson and Gareth Brown netted Church's others, but although the scoreline looks as if it was a one sided game, it was Crookes who got the ball in the back of the net first, only to see it ruled out for offside. Crookes had another couple of chances, but against the run of play, it was Penistone that took the lead midway through the first half. After the break Church used the wind to their advantage and as well as Council's strikes, Mitch Savage, Lewis Dickinson and Gareth Brown made the game safe for Church. Crookes did get a deserved consolation ten minutes from time when new signing Kaw Doe Soe H'Too found the net.



League Tables | Fresh Co-op Milk Cup | County FA Cups | Results | Fixtures

Awards | News | Clubs | History | Sponsors | Management

Email : sssl