Website in association with Angel IT Solutions




All the reports for January are shown below. See News Index for other months


31 Jan - CBC PREMIER - Pheasant rescued by Parrott after a Reet treble, while O Grady says yes for Turf - Just one point separates the top four of the CBC Premier after Wadsley Bridge Pheasant dropped their first points of the season when drawing 4-4 with Norton Oaks A. A Danny Reet (right) treble looked to have given Oaks all three points until Pheasant's unbeaten record was saved by a Dylan Parrott (left) penalty just ten seconds from time. Norton struck first through Cole Fulton, but Pheasant were level at the break thanks to a Josh Statham strike. Pheasant got their noses in front at the start of the second half when Parrott's long ball found Luke Beedham and he produced a cool finish, but Pheasant conceded more than one goal for the first time in the league this season when Reet equalised with a free kick. Shane Andrews took advantage of a scramble in the Oaks box to put Pheasant back in front, but Oaks levelled again when Reet scored in off a post. When Reet was pulled down in the box he took the penalty himself to complete his hat-trick and put Oaks ahead, but Pheasant kept going to the end and when they were awarded a penalty with just seconds to go, Parrott made sure they would share the spoils.

The point was enough to take Pheasant back to the top on goal difference, but current champions Stannington Village are also level on points after two Alex Torr goals helped them to victory at Southey Social. It took Stannington half an hour to take the lead when a neat ball from Jack Ridge (left) sent Shaun Flynn away and he squared the ball for the onrushing Aaron Worsfold to score a rare goal. Dean Jepson missed a glorious chance to double the lead before the break, but Stannington's second came after half time when the ball broke to Alex Torr and he lashed it past the Southey keeper. Torr grabbed his second soon after when he played a one-two with Lee Johnstone before smashing the ball into the top corner and Torr had a hand in the fourth when he latched onto a ball over the top before putting an inch perfect cross for Ridge to score with a left foot volley. A consolation came for Southey when the Stannington keeper was penalised for handling a back pass and despite every Stannington player standing on the goal line, Nicky Danks fired into the roof of the net.

Fourth place Redmires missed their chance to go top when they were beaten at home, with an Ollie Grady goal turning out to be the winner for Handsworth Turf. Turf took the lead when Danny Wilson took keeper Liam Richardson's long goal kick in his stride before sidefooting the ball past the Redmires keeper. Danny Wilson, man-of-the match Danny Leesley and Harry Johnson all combined to set up the chance for overlapping full back Greg Taylor to shoot into the bottom corner and Turf went into the break with a three goal lead after Ollie Grady curled a brilliant free kick into the top corner. It could have been worse for Redmires as Wilson and Leesley both missed good chances, Grady hit a post and Craig Cansdale had one cleared off the line. Redmires shook themselves at half time and they quickly pulled one back through leading scorer Jon Wall and they were right back in it when a Wall corner was turned home by Danny Turner, but despite a couple of half chances, they couldn't force an equaliser. The win saw Turf climb a place and they are now just three points behind the leaders.

Matt Dodds scored twice as Oughtibridge WM had a comfortable home win over Civil Service A to leapfrog their visitors and improve their chances of avoiding the drop. Ross Brown opened the scoring with a finish from the edge of the area and soon after a handball in the area allowed Matt Dodds to send keeper Chris Verity the wrong way with his spot kick to make it two. A third goal in ten minutes came when Ollie Black was given acres of space and he finished with ease. Dodd volleyed home his second at the start of the second half, before Andrzej Gordon-Hides pulled one back for Civil. Civil keeper Verity was doing his best to keep the score down, but he was beaten again when new signing Harry Hartley converted Charlie Tunnard's cross.

DIVISION 1 - Mellor and Shaw trebles see Phoenix fly sixteen points clear after Taxis and Intake share the spoils - Division One leaders Phoenix flew sixteen points clear after John Mellor and Nicky Shaw (right) trebles, Shaw's second in as many weeks, helped them to a thumping 9-0 victory over bottom club Colley Tavern. Shaw set Mellor up for his first two, before Matt Winfrow crossed perfectly for Shaw to get his first. Midfield man-mountain Dale Savage made it 4-0 at half time and straight after the break Mellor latched onto a Josh Aston pass to complete his hat-trick. Good build up play paved the way for Shaw's second, before man-of-the match Aston scored from close range. Shaw completed his hat-trick to make it eight and Sam Firth finished off a slick move to complete the scoring.

Two of the chasing pack, Intake Old Boys and City Taxis, lost ground after they had to settle for a point each after they drew 3-3 with each other. After a goalless first half, two Jordan Marshall strikes gave Taxis a two goal lead, but Intake pulled one back when Russell Hobson got down the line to cross for Lee Pierpoint to poke the ball home. Paul Turner was then brought down in the area and Hobson smashed his spot kick into the top corner to bring the scores level. Intake then took the lead when a long ball found Pierpoint and he touched the ball on for Shaun Higginbottom to power the ball home. Taxis hadn't been beaten since early November though and with just three minutes remaining they maintained that record when Danny Major ran through to equalise.

Ranch improved their chances of avoiding the drop and climbed out of the bottom three when a Connor Brunt (left) goal gave them a 2-1 victory at an Aston Swallownest now seven points from safety. Ranch led at half time when a free kick left Tom Evans with an easy finish, but after the break Aston got on top and deservedly levelled with a Billy Evans strike. Ranch responded and started to dominate and in the final minute leading scorer Connor Brunt scored with an unstoppable free kick.

DIVISION 2 - Glover treble puts Killamarsh back level with the leaders, while Cobden's Bell is ringing loud - Killamarsh Juniors went back level on points with the Division Two leaders after a Joe Glover treble helped them to a 6-2 victory at Top Club. Christian Savage picked up the man of the match award after setting up all three of Glover's goals and scoring one himself. James Savage and Jacob Hobson netted Killamarsh's others, while Top Club's goals came from Damion Wilcox and Liam Bryan.

Cobden View's sensational rise continued and they are now remarkably just a point off the top after a Ben Bell double helped them to come from behind to beat Steelers 4-1. Kaiden Simpson gave Steelers the early advantage, but View was level at half time thanks to a Bell free kick. That gave View the confidence to go on and dominate after the break and they took the lead with another Bell free kick. Although Steelers were giving them the hardest game in their recent run, View netted two more through Richard Higgins and Lee Mansell from close range.

Nicky Owen bagged another two as Devonshire won 4-0 at Civil Service A to go within three points of the leaders. Keith Cronin and Owen gave Devonshire a two goal half time lead and although Civil were proving to be spirited opponents, it wasn't enough to stop Owen and Jordan Hague (right) adding two more in the second half. A Chris Pigott goal got Norton Oaks B back to winning ways, 1-0 at Crookes & District's expense, while a Dimitri White double and one each from Adam Wragg and Nick Mulgrew gave Woodhouse Juniors a 4-1 victory over Woodseats Chantrey. Ricky Williamson had made it 2-1  to briefly put Woodseats back into the game just before half time, but it wasn't enough.

31 Jan - KITLOCKER CUP - Kitlocker Cup Semi final draw - The draw for the Kitlocker Cup semi finals was made at the League meeting last week and it saw The Vine v Penistone Church or Redmires and Wadsley Bridge Pheasant v Stannington Village. If there is any clash of colours, the second drawn team must change. The games will be played on a date in March.

28 Jan - February Fixtures now listed - The Fixtures and Referees for FEBRUARY are now shown - Home teams MUST make sure that their home pitch is available on all the dates shown. Please email Keith immediately if your pitch is not available on a date shown. BUT note that if we have any further postponements, some fixtures might get changed to try to give teams shown as playing TBA a game. All home clubs must also confirm the details with your opponents and referees for all dates shown IMMEDIATELY. Please email Keith immediately if any of the referees tell you they cannot do the fixture listed.

24 Jan - Blythen tops the Leading Scorer charts - The Twentytwo Leading Scorer charts for the season have been updated and Division Two AFC George's leading marksman Michael Blythen (right) is currently leading the way with 23. In second place on 18 is Division One Hallam's Joe Howsham and at the top of the CBC Premier scorers is Woodhouse Angel's' Mitch Husbands on 13. See the Leading Goalscorers in the Results section for a full list of each team's Leading Scorer.

24 Jan - Don't Forget the League Meeting on Monday 25 January  - Clubs are reminded that it is the League Meeting at Bramall Lane on Monday 25 January, at 7:30 pm. All clubs must be represented.

24 Jan - SUNDAY JUNIOR CUP - Old Nick celebrates his birthday with a treble to see off Intake  - Nicky Owen (left) celebrated his thirtieth birthday by scoring all his side's goals as Division Two Devonshire won the all-Blades Super Draw Sunday Junior Cup quarter final at Division One Intake Old Boys 3-1. Devonshire took the lead on the half hour when a four man move ended with Owen heading past Intake keeper Ryan Shepard. Intake were having plenty of the ball, but without ever testing the Devonshire keeper and instead it was Shepard that kept the first half to just the one goal. After the break Devonshire took more control of the game and Owen added his second. Owen's third came from the penalty spot before another penalty allowed Russell Hobson to score Intake's consolation (first picture below). Action pictures by Mick Moat.

KITLOCKER CUP - Holders go out as Davidson and Ellis double see The Vine through - The holders Oughtibridge WM lost their grip on the League Kitlocker Cup as fellow CBC Premier side The Vine reached their fifth League Kitlocker Cup semi final with a convincing 5-1 victory with the help of doubles by Rikki Davidson (right) and Matt Ellis (left). The Vine almost went ahead after just two minutes when Ellis whipped in a cross that just eluded Liam Allott with the goal open, but the opener came soon after when Davidson got away down the right and hit a shot into the far corner. Danny Seaman then fired over when he was put through by man of the match Ellis, but Oughtibridge hit back to level with a terrific sidefoot finish by Callum Simms from outside the area and they almost went ahead when Aidy Tomlin found Simms in the area, but his shot was superbly saved by The Vine's keeper. Charlie Tunnard then hit a free kick just over the bar, but it was The Vine that regained the lead before half time when Phil Miskell crossed from the right for Davidson to head home his second (the first picture below). The Vine took control of the tie after the break when sub Joe France crossed perfectly from the left for Ellis to head his first (second picture below) and the same combination brought The Vine's fourth with France unselfishly laying the ball into Ellis's path after a Davidson shot had been parried by the keeper. They completed the scoring with the goal of the game as Craig Woolley and Brent Heeley linked up to play in sub Steve Wilkinson to provide a great finish. They almost added a sixth when Will Blakeney headed against the bar, but it didn't matter as The Vine reached their second semi final of the season after already securing a place in the last four of the Sunday Senior Cup. (all action pictures by Ian Revitt)

CBC PREMIER - Brinsworth back on top, while Stannington win and Norton come from three down to pip Angel - Brinsworth Whitehill (right) are on top of the CBC Premier for the first time ever after beating Southey Social 3-0. Brinsworth should have taken the lead after five minutes when Ross Johnson and Cory Goodwin combined only for Johnson's shot to be saved by the keeper. Joe McGuiness and Ainsley Finney also missed good chances to put Brinsworth ahead, but the breakthrough finally came for the home side when Matt Claxton's cross allowed centre half Ryan Watson to coolly head into the net. Just before the break McGuiness had a header cleared off the line, but the second half wasn't too old when sub Mike Hare hit a twenty five yard screamer into the top corner to double Brinsworth's lead. Brinsworth place at the top of the table was confirmed when Finney completed the scoring after being put through by Watson.

Just three points behind Brinsworth, but with five games in hand, is Stannington Village after their 2-0 victory over title rivals Redmires. Stannington took the lead midway through the first half when the ball fell to Adam Todd in the box and although the keeper pushed his shot onto the post, the rebound fell kindly for Shaun Flynn to force the ball home with his thigh. It stayed like that until after the break and although Redmires had more of the possession they found it hard to break down the home side's defence and it was Stannington that grabbed a second when Ben Cook sent Alex Torr down the left and he crossed for Todd to swivel and hit his shot high into the roof of the net.

Norton Oaks A climbed three places after coming back from three down to win an amazing eleven goal thriller 6-5 at home against Woodhouse Angel. Mitch Husbands gave Angel the lead and although Alan Mowforth levelled for Norton, Husbands second put Angel back in front. Danny Reet then hit his tenth of the season to bring Norton level a second time, but they were soon behind again to a Michael Towey strike. Angel then looked to have the game as good as won when Jordan Rymell netted their fourth and Husbands completed his hat-trick for their fifth, but just before the break Kerry Dixon (left) scored his first goal for Norton to give them hope. Darryl Parkin thought he had restored Angel's three goal lead only for it to be ruled out for offside and Norton stormed back in the second half. Reet hit his second of the game before Paul Knapton equalised with his first of the season. It was all Norton now so it was no surprise that they took the points with Dixon's second of the game with just three minutes remaining. The victory saw Norton climb three places to fifth, but was a real blow to Angel's title hopes.

DIVISION 1 - Nick's a Shaw thing as Phoenix fly thirteen points clear while Taxis too much for Hallam - Division One leaders Phoenix flew thirteen points clear after a Nicky Shaw (right) treble helped them to a 5-2 victory over promotion rivals Loxley. After missing a few early chances, Phoenix finally took the lead when man of the match Jordan Pearce went past three defenders before setting Shaw up to coolly score his first. Loxley hit back to be level by half time with a Ralph Clarkson strike. Although Loxley scored a second after the break, the half belonged to Phoenix with John Mellor unselfishly setting up Shaw's second and Shaw completing his hat-trick from the penalty spot after Mellor had been brought down. Liam Brookfield made it 4-2 after Karl Howden and Jack Hawkes had combined to set him up, before Hawkes completed the scoring after latching onto a Pearce through ball.

City Taxis charge up the table continued and they are now fourth after a 3-1 home win over second place Hallam. Hallam had the better of the first half, but they couldn't take any of their chances and the half ended goalless. Taxis were handed the lead after the break when a Hallam defender turned a long throw into his own goal and they doubled it from another long throw that allowed Callum Hackford to head his fourth goal of the season. Hallam got back into it with an Adam Cawood strike, but Taxis sealed the points when they were awarded a penalty that was dispatched by Jordan Marshall.

After taking just a single point from their previous four games, third place Ecclesfield Players Lounge stopped their rot with a 3-2 victory over bottom club Colley Tavern. That result didn't look likely after Matt Meaney and Craig Begbie goals had given Colley a two goal lead at half time. Ecclesfield had the advantage of the strong wind at their backs after the break and they quickly pulled one back with Scott Whittington's twelfth goal of the season. Colley were defending well though and it looked as if they would get a morale boosting victory, but as the game went into added time Whittington struck his second and there was still enough time for Andy Baxter to hit a winner for Ecclesfield.

Despite losing influential midfielder Steve Bailey (left) with a broken wrist, Hare & Hounds rise continued with a 5-0 victory over Aston Swallownest. The scoring started on ten minutes as Jake Schofield curled a right-side cross into the box. The bounce escaped the Aston defence as left back Richard Brailey stole in to nod home. There followed a controversial moment as the Aston keeper spilled a save, Hare's Liam Hogg stabbed home, only for the goal to be disallowed, but Hogg didn't have to wait long to get on the scoresheet when he swept in a Schofield corner at the near post.  Soon after, a quickly taken corner found Brailey again, lurking on the penalty spot and his sweet half-volley flew into the bottom corner. Hare's day was marred just after half-time as Bailey landed badly and broke his wrist, but after long delay, Hare continued to dominate.  When the lively Shannon Marsland was needlessly pushed in the box, Brailey declined the chance to complete a first ever hat-trick by taking the penalty, and the regular taker Schofield smashed it home instead.  A minute later, Marsland scored the goal his selfless play deserved, latching on to a loose back pass to dispossess the Aston keeper and roll the ball into an empty net, and he almost grabbed another when he hit a post. It was Hare's third successive win, a run that has seen them leap from the second bottom to within a point of the top three.

Two sides that could do with a similar run are Ranch and their visitors Chapeltown RBL after their 1-1 draw left them in the battle to avoid the drop. Chapeltown RBL will think it was a better point after a red card saw them reduced to ten men before half time, but they had already taken the lead when Danny Cardwell's free kick eluded everyone to go into the net. Chapeltown thought they had scored a second when Cardwell's long throw went into the net, but the referee ruled that no one had touched it and gave a goal kick instead. Ranch got on top after the break and levelled midway through the half when Mickey Thomas pounced on the rebound after the Chapeltown keeper had pushed a shot out, but it was Chapeltown that nearly stole all three points when the Ranch keeper pulled off one of the saves of the season to keep the scores level.

DIVISION 2 - Church win the battle of the top two, while Cobden View up to third and Blythen hits five for George - Division Two's game of the day saw the top two go head to head and it was leaders Penistone Church that went three points clear with a 3-1 victory at second place Killamarsh Juniors. Killamarsh started well led at the interval with a Jack Stanley free kick on the edge of the area, but the second half saw Penistone put the home side's goal under siege, but it took until twelve minutes from time for Elliott Firth to get their equaliser. Church's better fitness was beginning to tell and soon after George Orrell put Church in front and two minutes later Brad Kemp made the points safe with Church's third.

Cobden View's remarkable rise continued as their 3-0 victory over Woodseats Chantrey took them into the top three. Woodseats started well, but they conceded a penalty and Richard Higgins scored the spot kick to put View in front. That gave the home side all the encouragement they needed and they had the victory sewn up by half time with further goals from Ben Mayne and Lee Mansell. Woodseats made it a tighter second half, but they couldn't stop View recording their fourth win in five games - a run of results that has seen them go from the bottom three to the top three.

Norton Oaks B will be glad to see the back of Michael Blythen (right) after his five goals in AFC George's 6-0 victory over them meant Blythen had scored thirteen goals against them this season. The game was as good as over after nine minutes as Blythen had already collected his first three and before half time he had added another along with a Lee Cotton strike. Oaks did much better in the second half and it wasn't until the final minute that Blythen netted his fifth.

A Frazer Oxley double helped Steelers climb out of the bottom three with their first victory since October, 4-1 over Civil Service B. After a goalless first half the result never looked in doubt after Blake Owen had put Steelers ahead five minutes into the second half. Brad Oxley added a second two minutes later before his brother Frazer grabbed his brace. Ryan Hawood's late goal for Civil was their only consolation.

Another side to end their poor run was Top Club with a 3-1 victory at Crookes & District. Despite having a weakened side it was Crookes that just edged the first half and they led when new signing scored from the spot after they were awarded a penalty. Club took charge after the break though and they looked set to level the scores when they were awarded a penalty five minutes after the break, but the spot kick was brilliantly saved by Crookes keeper Tom Garrity. Club continued to press and their equaliser came when Anton Blake thundered home an unstoppable free kick and they went on to win it with Brad Grey and Scott Wood strikes, although Crookes almost pulled one back when Andrew Foster hit the bar late on.

17 Jan - All games postponed - The frost and overnight snow meant that all of today's games were postponed. Intake Old Boys and Devonshire will now have to try to play their Sunday Junior Cup tie on Sunday 24 Jan and this means that there will be changes to fixtures in both Division 1 and 2. The Oughtibridge WM v The Vine Kitlocker Cup quarter final has also been re-scheduled for next weekend, but there are no other fixture changes in the CBC Premier as Oughtibridge and The Vine were due to play each other anyway. A review of next weekend's games can now be found in the Latest News section.

10 Jan  - CBC PREMIER - Kay double rescues Oaks as Civil end their run of defeats - It looked like Civil Service A's winless run was coming to an end when their leading scorer Gary Eades netted his sixth goal of the season with just a few minutes remaining, but Dale Kay's second goal of the game, direct from a corner (pictured second left), in the final minute saw Norton Oaks A claim a 2-2 draw. The clash of two of the CBC Premier's bottom four saw Civil take a half time lead when Wes Bamford knocked home the rebound after the Norton keeper had pushed out the first effort, but early in the second half Kay (pictured first left) turned on the edge of the area to unleash a shot that gave Civil keeper Josh Branch no chance to bring Norton level. Chances came and went for both teams until Eades struck, but when fierce Norton pressure had forced a corner, Kay's fiercly struck corner found the roof of the net to give Norton a deserved share of the points. Although the point was enough to see Civil end their seven game losing streak and climb a place to third from bottom, it was a result that didn't really help either club much in their bid to pull away from the relegation zone. More action from the game is below - pictures by Mick Moat.


DIVISION 1 - Hobson is Intake's choice, while Hounds hit back to stun Loxley - Intake Old Boys climbed three places back into the Division One promotion places as two Russell Hobson (right) strikes saw them win at promotion rivals Ecclesfield Players Lounge. Ecclesfield were the first to threaten when George Sheen hit the post with a header and after Ryan Keeney also hit the post with a free kick, Sheen blasted the rebound over the bar with the net gaping. Intake began to take control though and Dan Meadows produced a great run down the left before he cut inside to lay the ball perfectly into Hobson's path for him to hit a superb finish with the outside of his boot to give Intake the lead. Hobson's second was an even better finish when he spun off his marker before bending the ball past the keeper and in off the post. Ecclesfield hit back with a Danny Barnett solo goal before Joe Knight missed two good chances to level. Andy Baxter also put a good chance wide and Barnett had a goal bound shot blocked in the six yard box as Intake held onto the points.

Sean Maloney scored one and made one as Hare & Hounds came from two down to beat another of the promotion contenders Loxley. It was Hounds second successive victory and so close is the Division that those wins have seen them climb out of the relegation zone to within three points of the promotion places. Hare & Hounds found themselves a goal down after just ten minutes as hapless left back, Rob Troughton touched a back pass past his advancing keeper Maron Rankine. Sean Maloney, John Ledger, Shann Marshland and Jake Schofield all wasted good openings for Hounds, although Jon Rhodes also wasted a good chance to double Loxley's lead. All looked lost for Hounds just after the break when Loxley broke quickly for Steve Mayfield to round keeper Rankine and finish into an open net.

Hounds continued to create the better chances and play a style better suited to their narrow 3G pitch and their perseverance was eventually repaid when midfielder Steve Bailey threaded an exquisite ball through the Loxley  defence for Jake Schofield (left) to side-step the keeper and finish neatly.  Hounds were level just three minutes later when a glorious move saw right-back Ledger feed Stefan Rankine and his deft touch freed Maloney to slot home the equaliser. Minutes later a left wing break ended with Schofield hitting his shot into the side netting before another outstanding pass from Liam "Oggy" Hogg found debutant Shann Marshall on the right wing, and his low cross was driven firmly into his own net by an inrushing Neil Coyle. With their man of the match Alex Armstrong driving them forward, Loxley mounted a furious last twenty minutes in search of the equaliser, coming closest when they were adjudged to have fouled keeper Rankine in a goal line scramble before driving home, but with centre backs Fraser Ward and Richard Hirst showing great resolve to hold back the late onslaught and centre-back turned midfielder Steve Bailey gradually taking control of the centre of the park they kept Loxley out.  At the other end, Joe Troughton might easily have finished the game when he was left one-on-one with the Loxley keeper, but the chance was snuffed out.

DIVISION 2 - Cobden come from behind to dent George's promotion hopes, while Morris winner sees Chantrey climb - A Richard Higgins (second left) strike saw Cobden View come from behind to beat promotion rivals AFC George in a game well refereed by Nick Mason, that proved to be a great advert for Division Two. Cobden took an early lead when Marcus Nock was played in on the right of the penalty area and he buried his finish past the keeper, but George hit back strongly and two goals from Michael Blythen gave them the lead and took him to joint top of  the League's goalscoring chart. Blythen was then denied a first half hat-trick by a terrific save by Cobden keeper Chris Nelson. The game remained even after the break, but as the game got stretched Cobden twice struck with attacks down the left. The first ended with Cav Rowland (far left) getting behind the George defence to smash the ball across the keeper into the top corner to bring Cobden level. The second saw Higgins also get behind the defence before hitting a shot low into the corner to put Cobden in front. George responded and only a terrific challenge by Rich Lowery stopped Blythen from wriggling through. At the other end of the table, a Steve Morris (right) strike after just five minutes proved enough for Woodseats Chantrey to claim their second home win of the season, 1-0 over Civil Service B and climb three places out of the bottom three. it wasn't straightforward though as Woodseats had a player dismissed in the second half, survived two strong penalty appeals and needed keeper Scott Green to make a match winning save near the end.


3 JAN - SUNDAY JUNIOR CUP - Intake's Barker leaves it late to bite Loxley  - Ryan Barker (right) scored one and made one in the last ten minutes for Intake Old Boys to beat fellow Division One Loxley 2-0 and set up a quarter final tie against Division Two Devonshire on 17 Jan. In torrential rain, Loxley started the game brightest, forcing Intake on the back foot, and after Anthony Marshall had wasted one good chance, both Steve Mayfield and Steve Dickinson forced good saves out of Intake keeper Steven Booth. After Josh Delaney had also wasted a good chance the tide began to change as Intake found their rhythm and Shaun Higginbottom and Tom Gabbitas started to dominate midfield. Intake thought they'd broken the deadlock after an exquisite cross from the lively Dan Meadows found the experienced head of Russ Hobson and his knock down found Matt Hunter to finish, but Hobson had been offside and the goal was ruled out.

Intake continued to press after the break with the impressive Michael Crossland causing problems down the right. Centre half Shaun Garwell strode into the midfield and unleashed a ferocious drive from all of thirty five yards only for a last gasp foot by the Loxley keeper to deny him. With just ten minutes remaining Intake decided to throw Ryan Barker into the mix and it proved to be an inspirational decision. A deep free kick from Gabbitas found Hobson at the back post and his mis-cued header turned into an excellent cross for Barker to rise and slam his header home. Intake continued to press and a defensive mix up allowed Barker to go one on one with the keeper and although his shot was saved the ball rebounded to Higginbottom who calmly slotted home to secure Intake's place in the last eight and a re-match with a Devonshire side that beat them in the Kitlocker Cup earlier in the season.

CBC PREMIER - Turf find Wadsley a Bridge too far as Pheasant go top, while Danks & Clinton doubles lift Southey - Wadsley Bridge Pheasant went back to the top of the CBC Premier after a 5-0 victory over Handsworth Turf made it six wins out of six. Bridge went ahead when Kane Doughty's shot took a deflection past the keeper and they doubled their lead before half time when Adam Askwith beat the keeper to the ball and rolled the ball into the empty net. The heavy wind and rain made it hard for everyone and a Reece James cross deceived the Turf keeper to make it three. Dylan Parrott (left) then set up Lewis Fothergill for their fourth before Parrott added their fifth.

Southey Social climbed off the foot of the table after Nicky Danks and Danny Clinton (right) doubles saw them come from behind to beat Norton Oaks A 4-2. Against the run of play Southey drew first blood when Nicky Danks found the top corner from the edge of the area, but Norton deservedly levelled before the break with a Danny Reet free kick. Norton continued to be on top in the second half so it was no surprise when Dale Kay drilled the ball home from fifteen yards. Norton then hit the bar and post four times, had two disallowed for offside and had several other good chances, but Southey were always dangerous on the break and levelled when Danks scored his second from the corner of the penalty area. Clinton, playing against his former club then put Southey ahead and grabbed his second to settle the game when he saw the keeper off his line and lobbed the ball home from twenty five yards.

DIVISION 1 - Phoenix go ten points clear, but Taxis coming up fast, while Colley 8ten by Hounds - Division One leaders Phoenix beat third place Ecclesfield Players Lounge 3-0 to go ten points clear at the top. Ecclesfield should have gone in front when Joe Knight missed a good chance, but Phoenix proved equally wasteful in front of goal a defence splitting pass by Jordan Pearce allowed Nicky Shaw to take his tally to twelve for the season with a precise finish. Ecclesfield responded and only a string of great saves by Phoenix keeper Kieran Osborne kept them from equalizing. Instead it was Phoenix that doubled their lead when a good passing move ended with Shaw setting up Matt Winfrow for his second of the season. After the break both Andy Baxter and Scott Szpajer wasted chances for Ecclesfield, but Phoenix always looked likely to add to their score and after wasting several chances to make it safe it was left to Sam Firth to grab their third.

Coming up fast are City Taxis after they hammered Chapeltown RBL 6-1. Callum Hackford and new signing Aaron Liles gave Taxis a two goal half time lead and although Gav Butler grabbed his fourth in four games to put Chapeltown back into it soon after the break, it was as close as they came. Ben Birtles scored to put Taxis back in charge and they ran away with it one from Jason Hopwood and two from Julian Lawrence.

Erratic Hare & Hounds notched up their best win of the season, 8-2 at Colley Tavern. Colley started brightly and Hounds were rescued by a couple of diving saves from veteran keeper Mas Rankine, before his son Stef Rankine jinked into the box and drove home a powerful left footer to put Hounds ahead. That started a run of three goals in three minutes as next Sean Maloney sent a looping header beyond the keeper from a John Ledger cross, before Ross Eckhardt fed George Rudd (far left) who rifled home on the left. Colley rallied when Matt Meaney swiveled to score, before marauding centre back, Fraser Ward (second left), side footed in at the back post from a Rudd free-kick to put Hounds back in charge.  Soon after the break Jake Schofield threaded a ball through the Colley defence for Rudd's second, before Schofield then set up right back Richard Brailey for number six. Ward bagged his second in a goal mouth scramble from another free kick, before debutant Liam "Oggy" Hogg made it eight with a finish at the back post.

DIVISION 2 - Ireland double sees Norton climb, while Cobden go fourth after the Bell tolls for Top Club - Billy Ireland scored twice as Norton Oaks B claimed a comfortable 4-0 home win over Woodseats Chantrey to climb out of the bottom three. Norton were grateful to their keeper to stop Woodseats going ahead and instead it was Jordan Holland that gave Norton a half time lead. After the break Ireland's double put the game beyond the visitors and Norton's third game unbeaten was rounded off with a penalty from Matt Bradley. Ben Bell hit the winner as Cobden View beat Top Club 2-1 to go fourth. Both Cobden goals came from free kicks, with Joe Taylor netting the first and Bell the second. Club were always in it thanks to a Liam Bryan strike, but a determined Cobden held on. Action from the game is below - pictures by Mick Moat.



League Tables | Fresh Co-op Milk Cup | County FA Cups | Results | Fixtures

Awards | News | Clubs | History | Sponsors | Management

Email : sssl